Exchange Program Visa

Free P-2 Consultation

Temporary Visa

The P-2 Visa is for professional performers wanting to perform in the United States legally; either individually or as a group. There must already be in place a "reciprocal exchange program" between an organization in the United States and an organization in another country.

Who can apply?

Are you an artist entering the United States through a government recognized reciprocal exchange program? We can check for you by contacting our office, Punancy ∧ Cosentino. In addition, you must possess skills comparable to those of the United States artists and entertainers taking part in the program outside the United States.

What needs to be done?

The P-2 Visa requires a sponsoring labor organization in the United States, or your U.S. employer must file Form I-129, Petition for a Non-Immigrant Worker.

A petitioner who will be filing as an agent for multiple employers must prove that it is duly authorized to act as an agent.

What documents do I need?

The Form I-129 must include the following documents:

  • Written consultation by an appropriate labor organization
  • Copy of the formal reciprocal exchange agreement between the sponsoring U.S. organization(s) and the organization(s) in a foreign country which will receive the United States artist or entertainer
  • Statement from the sponsoring organization describing the reciprocal exchange of United States artists or entertainers as it relates to the specific petition for which classification is sought
  • Evidence that you and the U.S. artist or entertainer subject to the reciprocal exchange agreement are artists with comparable skills and that the terms and conditions of employment are similar
  • Evidence that an appropriate labor organization in the United States was involved in negotiating, or has concurred with, the reciprocal exchange of U.S. and foreign artists or entertainers.

Where to apply?

Once the P-2 Visa petition is approved, you can apply at a U.S. embassy or consulate.

Extension permitted for the P-2 Visa?

Time needed to complete the event, competition or performance, not to exceed 1 year. Increments of up to 1 year in order to continue or complete the event, competition or performance.

Can family members join me?

Your spouse and unmarried children under the age of 21 may obtain P-4 status. Your dependents may not engage in employment, but may attend school or college

Can employees join me?

Essential support personnel who are an integral part of the performance of a P-2 Visa artist or entertainer and who perform support services that cannot be readily performed by a U.S. worker, are eligible for P-2 Visa classification. Support personnel may include stagehands, trainers, or those persons having critical knowledge of the specific services to be performed.

Under the requirements of a P-2 Visa petition, your U.S. employer must file a separate Form I-129 for support personnel. The petition must include the following documents:

  • Consultation from an appropriate labor organization
  • Statement describing the support person’s prior and current essentially, critical skills and experience with the P-2 Visa artist or entertainer
  • Copy of a written contract between the employer and the support person or a summary of the terms of the oral agreement under which the support person will be employed.