I-130 Visa
Helping A Sibling - US Immigrattion

Free I-130 Consultation

How to bring a brother or sister into the United States as a Legal Resident

To petition to bring your sibling (brother or sister) to live in the United States as a green card holder, you must be a U.S. citizen and at least 21 years of age. Permanent residents may not petition to bring siblings to live permanently in the United States.

What documents do I need?

To successfully complete the process, the U.S. citizen petitioner (i.e. the sponsor) must submit:

  • A completed Form I-130. (Note: You do not need to file a separate Form I-130 for your sibling’s spouse or unmarried children under 21 years of age.)
  • A copy of your birth certificate and a copy of your sibling's birth certificate showing that you have at least one common parent.
  • Evidence that you are a U.S. citizen, such as:
    • A copy of your valid U.S. passport, OR
    • A copy of your U.S. birth certificate, OR
    • A copy of Consular Report of Birth Abroad, OR
    • A copy of your naturalization certificate, OR
    • A copy of your certificate of citizenship

Half-Siblings, adoptive sublings can be helped too

If you and your sibling are related through adoption, please also submit:

  • A copy of the adoption decree(s) showing that the adoption took place before you or your sibling (the adopted child) became 16 years old.

If you and your sibling are related through a step-parent, please also submit:

  • Copies of the marriage certificates of the father to each mother, AND
  • Copies of documents showing that any prior marriages of either your father or mothers were legally terminated.

Can my sibling come to the United States to live while the visa petition is pending?

Your sibling will have to wait until the application is approved.