Trader Visa

Free E-1 Consultation

Temporary Visa

The E-1 Visa is for a citizen of a treaty country (Please see the list to the right) who would like to trade in the U.S. Sometimes, employees of this organization may also be entitled to an E-1 Visa.

How do you apply for an E-1 Visa if you are outside the U.S.?

The application for the E-1 Visa is the I-129. You will have to involve the Department of States and send your petition to them. Once the visa is approved, the second step is to apply to the U.S. Department of States (DOS). Where? At a U.S. port of entry.

What are the qualifications for an E-1 Visa?

  • Make sure your country is on the list to the right.
  • Carry on substantial trade
  • Carry on principal trade between the United States and your (treaty country).

What type of trade?

  • Goods
  • Services
  • International banking
  • Insurance
  • Transportation
  • Tourism
  • Technology and its transfer
  • Some news-gathering activities.

Principal trade between the United States and the treaty country exists when over 50% of the total volume of international trade is between the U.S. and the trader’s treaty country.

What is required to apply for the E-1 Visa?

  • Be the same nationality of the principal alien employer (who must have the nationality of the treaty country)
  • Must be an employee of the business.
  • Duties must be that of an executive or supervisory character, or have special qualifications.

If the principal alien employer is not an individual, it must be an enterprise or organization at least 50% owned by persons in the United States who have the nationality of the treaty country. These owners must be maintaining nonimmigrant treaty trader status. If the owners are not in the United States, they must be, if they were to seek admission to this country, classifiable as nonimmigrant treaty traders.

The E-1 requires the job to be of an executive or supervisory character. In other words, you as the visa holder must have control within the organization.

How long may you remain in the U.S. on an E-1 Visa?

The E-1 allows for a stay of up to two years. Extensions are permitteed for another two years. There is no limit on the number of extensions for the E-1 Visa. All E-1 visa holders must be willing to leave the U.S. when the time is completed.

What can you do with an E-1 Visa?

A treaty trader or employee may only work in the activity for which he or she was approved. You may not switch jobs. In summary you must as an E-1 Visa holder:

  • Keep a Relationship with your company
  • Hold a position that requires executive, supervisory, or essential skills
  • Maintain the Terms and conditions of the job.

Can Family members join the E-1 Visa holder in the United States?

Yes, even employees can join. Spouses and unmarried children who are under 21 years of age may also be permitted to live and work legally in the United States. They may even attend school, but may not work. Family are considered E-1 dependents. Family members may also work, if they apply separately for a work permit.

I have a 100% approval rate for the past 20 years


  • Albania
  • Argentina
  • Armenia
  • Australia
  • Austria
  • Azerbaijan
  • Bahrain
  • Bangladesh
  • Belgium
  • Bolivia
  • Bosnia and Herzegovina
  • Brunei
  • Bulgaria
  • Cameroon
  • Canada
  • Chile
  • China
  • Colombia
  • Congo
  • Costa Rica
  • Croatia
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • Ecuador
  • Egypt
  • Estonia
  • Ethiopia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Georgia
  • Germany
  • Greece
  • Grenada
  • Honduras
  • Iran
  • Ireland
  • Israel
  • Italy
  • Jamaica
  • Japan
  • Jordan
  • Kazakhstan
  • Korea
  • Kosovo
  • Kyrgyzstan
  • Latvia
  • Liberia
  • Lithuania
  • Luxembourg
  • Macedonia
  • Mexico
  • Moldova
  • Mongolia
  • Montenegro
  • Morocco
  • Netherlands
  • Norway
  • Oman
  • Pakistan
  • Panama
  • Paraguay
  • Philippines
  • Poland
  • Romania
  • Serbia
  • Senegal
  • Singapore
  • Slovak Republic
  • Slovenia
  • Spain
  • Sri Lanka
  • Suriname
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • Thailand
  • Togo
  • Trinidad & Tobago
  • Tunisia
  • Turkey
  • Ukraine
  • United Kingdom
  • Yugoslavia
  • See more