US Visa for Asylum Relief
Relief from persecution

Free Consultation

We have handled hundreds and hundreds of cases of people fleeing from their country because they were being persecuted. You can apply for asylum, relief from this persecution, on the basis of one of these grounds:

  • Race
  • Religion
  • Nationality
  • Membership in a particular social group
  • Political opinion

If you were persecuted in your home country because you were a radio announcer and not permitted to speak against the government, or you were stopped by government officials becuase you supported a different political candiate, you may have a claim for political aslyum If you were shot at or threatened with death because you did not do what govenment officials asked of you, then you could have a claim. Of course, there are many possibilities for having this type of relief work for you.

If you win your case, you will be allowed to remain in the United States. You can become a legal resident, and then a U.S. citizen. It all starts with an I-589 application, Application for Asylum and for Withholding of Removal, within one year of your arrival to the United States. There is no fee to apply for asylum.

You may include your spouse and children who are in the United States on your application at the time you file or at any time until a final decision is made on your case. To include your child on your application, the child must be under 21 and unmarried.

Permission to Work in the United States

You cannot apply for permission to work (employment authorization) in the United States at the same time you apply for asylum. You may apply for employment authorization if:

  • 150 days have passed since you filed your complete asylum application, excluding any delays caused by you (such as a request to reschedule your interview) AND
  • No decision has been made on your application

To apply for employment authorization, you must file a Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization. There is no fee to apply for your first EAD if you have a pending asylum application or if you have been granted asylum.

Bringing Your Family to the United States

If you are granted asylum you may petition to bring your spouse and children to the United States by filing a Form I-730, Refugee/Asylee Relative Petition. To include your child on your application, the child must be under 21 and unmarried.

You must file the petition within two years of being granted asylum unless there are humanitarian reasons to excuse this deadline. There is no fee to file this petition.

Filing for Permanent Residence (Green Card)

You may apply for a green card one year after being granted asylum.